Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Post #250

Earlier this evening as I sat down on the toilet, I looked over and saw a huge hairy spider on the floor a couple of feet away. It surprised me enough that I just about... Well, let's just say that I was in the proper position to do what I was just about to do. I gathered my wits about myself and took off a shoe. I swung it at the hairy monster, missing him the first time, but with my rapid fire reflexes he was soon crushed and split into several pieces on the bathroom rug.

I've killed a bunch of spiders in my house as of late. Big spiders. Ugly spiders. I'm not sure exactly as to the reason that they've been showing up. There are a lot of crickets everywhere outside now and certainly we've found more than one indoors. Perhaps the spiders like eating crickets and have been drawn into our humble abode.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't like to kill spiders. They do some good by eating certain critters and so forth, so I don't want to mess with our delicate ecosystem. My wife on the other hand demands that I kill the spiders. She's completely afraid of the crickets, so imagine how much a spider scares her.

I use to have a non-agression pact with the spiders. Pretty much the agreement was if you leave me alone, I don't see you too much, and you don't scare the bejeezus out of me, I'll let you spiders live. I don't want the bad karma from killing anything. On more than one occasion, I've shooed a spider out the door rather than killing it. I'd rather let them live, but for my wife to have any peace, I must fight a war.

The other day, while sitting on the floor, a nasty looking spider crawled on Cooper's back.

Share Video and Photos at JussPress.com

He didn't know it was on him, but I gasped when I saw it.

Share Video and Photos at JussPress.com

I knocked it off him with my hand. The little bugger ran off to hide under our curio cabinet.

Share Video and Photos at JussPress.com

With a newspaper, I forced the spider out into the open where he quickly met his demise from a magazine. Cooper barely noticed.

Share Video and Photos at JussPress.com

It's a neverending war that I'm in with these spiders. They just don't learn. They can hide, but they can't run. They should just hide. (The pictures posted are from tonight and thus spiderless, which is the way we like it.)

5 comments:

Denise B. said...

Yeah, I think I'd freak if I saw a big hairy spider on my kid. ick.

By the way, each time I view your blog, your blog map ends up overlapping your most recent post. I use Mozilla Firefox, should that make a difference?

Anonymous said...

Wow...I think that's the first time you admitted to sitting on the toilet and coming up with something blog worthy. I'm always driving down the road at 50MPH and reaching for a napkin to write it down, LOL.

Oh, and I'm with the wife - death to spiders!

Anonymous said...

I think Micole needs total immersion to get over her fear. :D

kiki

Erin said...

I'm with you. I don't kill spiders unless they invade my personal space (crawl on me). Otherwise, I'm happy to have them around to eat other nasty things that find their way in. If there is a particularly bothersome, hairy, large one roaming around, I'll make hubby take it outside... otherwise, we too have a peace agreement with the arachnids. ;)

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhh I hate spiders. Especially big ugly hairy ones. If a spider ever crawled up my kid's back I'd flip out and scare the shit out of the kid.